Sunday 16 October 2011

Cold season is coming

One thing that is a problem for every small business owner is illness. This is especially a problem as an entertainer though. What do you do when a little cold medicine isn't enough to get you back to your tip top shape?

First and foremost, don't go to a party when you cannot represent your business at its best. A runny clown nose is gross. Unless it is part of your character, a silent clown isn't much fun at a party. And if you aren't feeling well, your show is going to suck. I hate to say it, but I've learned these things the hard way.

Have a list of other people you can call. I there isn't another clown available, at least try and find another face painter, balloon twister, magician or other entertainer to fill in for you.

Call your client and clear it with them. Let them know personally that you are sick and express your sincere regrets that you won't be able to come yourself but that you have found a replacement if it's alright with them. Don't just send someone without talking to the client first.

If you cannot find a replacement, you need to at the very least offer their deposit back. You can't charge them anything if you cancel no matter how much preparations you may have made. If they cancel, you are out of work and need to be compensated but if you cancel, they are already losing out on entertainment for their party and should not be expected to pay anything. (I hope this goes without saying but you never know)

Another thing that I hope goes without saying is try not to do this often and ONLY when you are really sick. It's not a way to skip work. If you wanted the day off them you shouldn't have booked it to begin with. Once you have said you will be there, only extreme circumstances should stop you from being there. A better paying gig is no excuse either.

Take lots of vitamin C,
Perry Noia the Scaredy Clown

3 comments:

  1. Hmm...not sure I agree here at all.

    With so many virus' going around, how can one expect to make a living if they cancel gigs that can be so very difficult to come by in the first place? You do realize that the family that you are disappointing is going to ADVERTISE the fact that you cancelled on their party to all of their family and friends, even if only in passive conversation, caring less about your cold than the fact that you disappointed their child on their birthday.And forget about getting a call for next year, or the year after. This will undoubtedly keep you out of the running for any parties most of their friends and families may have booked down the road, as there are many clowns to go around. Cancelling a party can potentially cost you a fortune in the long run.

    I have seen many children's entertainers put on great shows, in spite of being under the weather.

    And what constitutes being "really sick", a "gross" runny nose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Anonymous, you are perfectly welcome to disagree with me. We all have to make our own personal judgments as to when we have reached our limits. I cannot judge anyone else's limitations, just my own. I think it would be best to worry about your reputation as someone that performs at their best, has replacements that they can call, and considers the health of all of the children and their families over their own income.

    The purpose of mentioning this topic on my blog is so that performers will make themselves a list of back-ups to call if this should happen rather than saying that it will never happen. If you've never had an unceasing runny nose while you have a clown nose glued to your face and being completely unable to blow your nose or stop it in any way other than to take it off and destroy your character in their eyes, then you just don't know how embarrassing THAT would be for your reputation. Being unable to talk to the children and give them the whole experience that they deserve, is unacceptable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess everyone has a different idea of what it means to be "too sick". I had the same problem when I taught private children's music classes. I had to do a lot of singing, so losing my voice automatically meant having to cancel. Otherwise, I would just ask myself, "if my child were taking this class, would I want the teacher to be this sick?" Definitely good to have a list of substitutes available.

    ReplyDelete