Monday 14 March 2011

Music and Movement

Something that I have experience with, is of course music. Music is a fantastic teaching tool for so many reasons, I can't even scratch the surface by saying that it helps with memory, thinking, mathematics, movement and the list just goes on and on. Check out this article for more information http://www.suite101.com/content/preschool-music-and-movement-a29893

Some of my favourite songs come from musicians like Raffi or Sharon, Lois & Bram, but you can also find some great stuff from the Wiggles, Imagination Movers and other more recent artists. You can sing these with the kids yourself or play recordings and sing and dance together. Don't just put the music on and ignore it, play with your kids. It's fun, it's good exercise and it engages them in the music.

If you're looking for some music activities that are more directly teaching skills, there are those a plenty as well. I own a couple of these books http://www.amazon.ca/Music-Movement-Prek-K-Steven-Traugh/dp/1574717456 They are nice books. They come with written instructions as well as a CD with music. The activities teach everything from music skills to mathematics and are simple enough for everyone to learn the games quickly. Another source for some ideas is here http://fun.familyeducation.com/toddler/music/37371.html

As a clown, I like to use action songs or songs that play a game. I'm Being Eaten by a Boaconstrictor is always a favourite at my parties and stage shows (I think the parents just like seeing all of us wiggling around on the ground). I also like playing Purple Stew because it is a game, but it involves everyone without naming winners and losers.

Perry Noia the Scaredy Clown
AKA Erin :oD

No comments:

Post a Comment